Luther's Death House

Martin Luther maintained a close relationship with the County of Mansfeld up until his death. He made many journeys to his birthplace in Eisleben in order to intervene in the fate of the town. His last visit was to reconcile the regions rulers and it was here that the Reformer died on February 18, 1546.

Above the market in Eisleben is a museum which is now a place of remembrance to Luther’s death. The building has been regarded as “Luther’s Death House” since 1726. The Prussian State bought the house in the latter part of the 19th century and turned it into a memorial. The listed building was renovated in 2013 and expanded into a museum quarter with a modern building.

The exhibitions in Luther’s Death House take visitors on the Reformer's final journey. The majority of the exhibition is barrier-free, but unfortunately Luther's final rooms have no disabled access due to the building’s listed status.

Bild
Luthers Sterbehaus, Straßrnansicht
Bild
Vater und Tochter stehen am Bahrtuch von Luther; getäfelte Wände
Bild
ein Mädchen lauscht mit einem Ohrhörer an der Medienstation. weiße Wände, Exponate mit rot hinterlegt
Bild
links großes Gemälde von Luthers letzter Stunde, rechts sitzt eine Person davor, weiße Wände